Friday, January 23, 2015

Shane [1953]

There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.

Allrighty, who's in the mood for a Western? I hadn't seen this movie for a while, and I didn't remember, well, how dang good it is! With a super poignant ending, too, I might add.
Anyhoo, this movie is about a gunslinger named Shane (obviously XD) who befriends a family of homesteaders. He hopes to retire from his gunslinging ways, but unfortunately, the valley has a problem with this nasty cowboy called Ryker and his gang. Feeling compelled to help the valley people, Shane makes his presence known to Ryker & Co., and the plot just kind of goes from there!
So, one of my favorite things about this movie was the cinematography. At first, it didn't look like anything terribly special or creative, but as the film went on, I started noticing all the technique and composition, and in a climatic scene towards the end, especially, there was one shot that blew me away. It hearkened back to something early on that happened and related in a sad way to the scene at hand, and how everything was laid out... it was so amazing. I also liked the soundtrack. It was very swell-y, and really hearkened a big, open valley!

The Verdict: A
SHAAAANE! COME BAAAACK SHAAAAAANE!!
Ahem. Yeah, Joey was kind of shrill sometimes but that ending just... got me. This movie has a relatively simple plot, but it packs quite a punch. Highly recommended. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have enabled comment moderation, but you have nothing to worry about unless your comment has swearing, vulgar language, or is rude and uncourteous.
Feel free to subscribe to follow-up comments, since I'll probably respond sooner or later.
Oh, and if you're commenting with the anonymous setting, please leave a name or alias at the end of your comment, so that I can have something to call you. :)