Monday, August 4, 2014

My 'Autumn-Winter' Reading List

Yeah... I finished my Summer reading list way sooner than I expected, and it's still not Autumn! Kind of funny really. But I ran out of stuff to read, so I figured I'd just start this now. It'll probably take me a while to finish it anyway, since I've got a load of super long books on it! I hope to be able to finish it by January.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
I've heard some seriously conflicting things about this book. One side says that it's a horrid book that tries to make twisted obsession look beautiful, and the other camp says that it's a study on why that kind of love wouldn't work. I'd like to find out myself, though I am a little intimidated by the first chapter. I tried it a year or two ago, and could not make it through! Let's hope I'm more patient this time around! Oh, and you should have seen my Dad's face when I said I was reading this. :D

Toilers of the Sea by Victor Hugo
Another book my sister wants me to 'screen' for her. I've heard good things about it, and you can't really go too wrong in a story about guys fighting sea monsters. Right? And it's Victor Hugo, I'm sure I'll learn a lot about the life and habits of the giant squid. ;)

The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo
I got this one used at the library for 50 cents. I had heard some things about it, but I didn't know the full plot. All I can say is that it sounds pretty good, though a little disturbing. And the depressing ending sounds very tacked on. I'll have to read the full thing to find out though.

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy
I heard it's about a guy who rescued innocent people from the guillotine, that's pretty rad, yeah? Should be good...

Persuasion by Jane Austen
I'm slowly but surely working my way through all the books of Jane Austen, of which I have read three. This one's actually one of the shorter books on this reading list, and I already know the story fairly well, so it should be a nice read!

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
Then I'll just have Sense and Sensibility left! Huzzah!
Ahem, this is probably the least popular Jane Austen novel, but my Mom gave me a short lecture on why it's just as cool as the others, so I shall soon embark on a quest to read it!

Confessions of St. Augustine by... St. Augustine!
St. Augustine is one of my favorite saints, and I recently found this in the garage (Our garage is filled with wonderous piles of boxes that are filled with books. Some of which have been eaten by silverfish :P). It should be good spiritual reading, something that I really should be doing all the time.

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
This book is translated from Russian, about four brothers each accused of patricide, deeply introspective and philosophical, and 993 pages long. SI SE PUEDE! SI SE PUEDE!!

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
Saw it at the library and thought "I should read THAT sometime!" This is that time. Also, I know this sounds really bad, but we recently saw the 2002 movie, and it is so awesome!

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
If only I didn't already have a copy of this book...
Pretty cover...
"Let it go, Monica!!"
"But I found our copy with the pretty red cover!"
"You just read it last year!"
"My precioooouuuuusssssss..."
"Urgh, she's hopeless."
 
By the way, my friend Ice Cream has written a lovely post in defense of Frodo, you can read it here.


5 comments:

  1. Why feel bad that you watched the movie and now want to read the book? I love how seeing a movie makes me get into reading the book. I do that a lot. Also, "The Count of Monte Cristo" is my second-favorite book ever, so I'm really looking forward to reading what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! I suppose I felt a teensy bit illiterate. But now that I think of it, there isn't really anything wrong with a movie getting you interested with the book.
      Oh really, your second-favorite? How neat! What's your favorite book, if I might ask?

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's a good one! My sister's trying to read it right now, let's hope her little preteen mind can do it :D

      Delete
  2. Preteen? Ambitious! I was like 16 when I first read JE. Then again, I read Monte Cristo when I was 11 and understood like 90% of it so if she's into it, she can do it!

    ReplyDelete

I have enabled comment moderation, but you have nothing to worry about unless your comment has swearing, vulgar language, or is rude and uncourteous.
Feel free to subscribe to follow-up comments, since I'll probably respond sooner or later.
Oh, and if you're commenting with the anonymous setting, please leave a name or alias at the end of your comment, so that I can have something to call you. :)